Salad Savvy

Yesterday I made "Frankies-Esque Beet Salad" from Gwenyth Paltrow's, It's All Good cookbook for lunch.  Apparently this recipe earned its name because it's based on one of her favorite beet salads, served at a NYC restaurant, Frankie's in the West Village.  This recipe has few ingredients, making for easy prep, in addition to being refreshing and delicious.  The avocado adds a creamy element that with the dressing really compliments the beets. 

Frankies-Esque Beet Salad
Serves 4.  Vegan.

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons white white vinegar
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound steamed or roasted beets, peeled and roughly diced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
3 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced.

Whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and olive oil in a large bowl and season to taste ith salt and pepper.  Add the beets to the dressing and gently stir to combine.  Transfer the beets to a serving platter and scatter the avocado and scallions over the top.

image/myphotos

3 comments

Carla said...

This reminds me of one of my favorites! Try doing roasted beets + orange segments + avocado +toasted pine nuts. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, lemon, and salt, and you're in heaven!

Sarah Alway said...

Okay I have got to get this cookbook, everything from it seems amazing! And I absolutely LOVE beets so I definitely want to try this one...

Sarah @ Life As Always

Something about Westport Fishing Washington said...

Yum! I've never made it --- but always loved it. Thank you for making it sound so easy! I think I'll give it a try.