Dinner Last Night: Vegetarian Chili Verde

This might be my favorite new dinner - Giada's Vegetarian Chili Verde from her latest book, Giada's Feel Good Food.  I've made this chili three times thus far; and concluded it is definitely a go-to recipe for Winter months.  It's a simple, with fresh, colorful ingredients, and the end result has been delicious every time!  A few minor changes I've made: Giada suggests using poblano chiles and fresh tomatillos.  Well…my local Safeway doesn't carry poblano chiles, so I omitted this ingredient.  Second, rather than fresh tomatillos, I opted for 2 cans of whole tomatillos, pulsed for about 15 seconds in the Nutribullet - same desired effect in half the time!   

This past Sunday night, feeling especially ambitious, I decided to make the suggested side of buttermilk-sour cream cornbread.  It was superb!  Now I'm not a cornbread aficionado in the slightest, but my husband is a fiend for the stuff, and he heartily approved.  Of course I adjusted this recipe as well - because really - who EVER has buttermilk on hand?  I imagine only farmers who actually milk their own cows for dairy ever actually keep buttermilk readily available in their fridge!   This has to be one of my least favorite ingredients ever, as I feel it's such a waste to buy a whole carton for the tiniest smidge a recipe calls for!  I didn't have sour cream, so I subbed in plain Greek yogurt instead, and just topped off what I would've included in buttermilk with more Greek yogurt.  To-may-toe, to-ma-to…it worked!

Thank you Giada, once again, for a fresh, healthy dinner that reheats excellent for lunch the next two days.  



1 comment

heather{land} said...

I always do the lemon and mild trick for buttermilk subs... Have heard you can do vinegar as well in milk to make a good buttermilk sub, but have never tried it! Will have to check this one out:)