The Pie Project #3 - Sweet Cherry Pie

Here's a snapshot of a little weekend baking around our house, sweet cherry pie a la Smitten Kitchen.  While at Trader Joe's doing some grocery shopping I noticed frozen sweet cherries.  Thinking to myself - that might make a good pie, I bought two bags on a whim, and them came home to google "sweet cherry pie."  Turns out, it's not the most popular pie, but recipes do exist, namely Martha Stewart and Deb from Smitten Kitchen, so I felt slightly redeemed in my choice of frozen sweet cherries.   

 I bought the cherries aspirations to re-energize my pie project over my Spring Break, but sometimes it's just so nice to simply enjoy time off as opposed to filling it to the brim with activities.  The pie was fairly easy to make.  I used Joy the Baker's cold butter pie crust recipe and Deb's recipe for filling.  While the fruit was quite dry upon entering the crust, the result was a bit soupy, despite the 4 tablespoons of cornstarch the recipe called for, but flavorful which I guess is the ultimate goal.  Next time I'd use more cornstarch or tapioca pearls to help soak up some of the extra moisture from the fruit.

Past Pies * one * two

image/myphotos

No comments