Bread Making 101

Now that I'm feeling increasingly confident with my pie making skills, I want to add another basic to my baking skill set - bread making.  Have you seen all the sugar and processed ingredients in bread these days?! Seriously, look at the ingredient label on your bread!  It's crazy how many ingredients are in there that shouldn't be - should soy really be in bread?  Half of them I can hardly pronounce! 

I want to be able to know what's truly in the food I'm feeding my family.  Bread seems daunting but so did pie crust, and really it's flour, water, salt, yeast, and a little time, right?  At least, that's what I'm hoping.  To jumpstart my journey into bread making, I added a few staples from the experts to my queue at the library, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, Flour Salt Water Yeast, and The New Artisan Bread.  

So...who's with me?  Anyone else make bread at home?

image/bbb

4 comments

Andrea said...

I love making bread! I am with you, there are so many fillers and products that don't knead (hehe) to be in our breads so making it allows you to control what you are ingesting! I was skeptical, but the no knead bread recipe from America's test kitchen (http://judyskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/02/americas-test-kitchen-rustic-almost-no.html) turned out really well the last time I made it! I've also made my own bagels before- and it made me never want to buy a store bought bagel again!

Leslie said...

You are definitely more ambitious than me, but I can't wait to see how it turns out. You are quite the baker!

Unknown said...

Would love to try these, very interesting.
why is Clean 9 most popular diet ?

SAMUEL BENZ said...

hmm I've always wanted to make my own bread but never could. I really wanna learn